Friday, September 14, 2007

Noticing Changes.

Marcus and I have had this long running outrage, that we've recently tested again. Anytime I have the itch to buy a new guitar, we go to this one particular store in Anderson (I'll refrain from using the store name here, but feel free to ask if you are interested!!) It started while we were dating and we have been married now for 10 wonderful years of complete bliss!! ;^) OK so the point is this hasn't changed for 12 years.

This is how it happens...we walk in look around sometime together, other times we go our separate ways. I am usually the one who picks up a guitar first and starts to play. And here comes the salesman...straight to Marcus!!! I am strumming, picking, examining, comparing and NOTHING, no one comes to ask if I need help or if I am interested. After this had happened a few times, I mention it to Marcus. Being the positive guy he is, he says no way and agrees to play along the next time we go in. So here we go again, together looking and now he is obviously showing me and handing me guitars. Enter Mr. Salesman...again NOTHING. All questions directed to Marcus and enters into conversation about how long Marcus has played guitar????

Sexism?!?! Well, walk into a music store and there are pictures of guitar legends past and present and maybe one women is represented, usually Bonnie Raitt or Heart. (Not to say those aren't great female guitarist, they definitely are...next time you are in a music store just look around.)

So we went in again last week just for fun. (This time I am looking for an electric - Fender or Gibson. Any sellers??) And yep, it happened again. But this time something different happened. I LAUGHED...all the way to the car. Though it still bothered me, it just didn't seem like a big deal. After all we have been through in the past few months, outrages seem different now. I am not saying that sexism in the community isn't important (0f course you know I will speak against it in every opportunity). We laugh harder at blatant ignorance's like that now. Before I would have seen that as an attack almost, now I walk out the store and think I still have a couple of hundred dollars in the bank and they don't.

No comments: